Excellence Corps Summer 2018 program brought together high school students five days a week over the course of 5 ½ weeks to build leadership, goal achievement skills and networking relationships for academic, career and civic responsibility. The program trained participants in public speaking, networking, design thinking and creating strategic plans of action that are impactful for their community. After the intensive training, students had the opportunity to put what they’ve learned into action by working at Tindal Activity Center four days a week, accompanied by one day a week in the classroom for debriefing, team building, planning and processing of what they experienced. As part of the students’ training and to further immerse them in the community, Excellence Corps works with thought leaders and entrepreneurs in Michigan to speak to the students about their current roles, what motivated them when they were growing up and any other encouraging words and best practices.
Informational and interactive student field trips include:
- Detroit Historical Museum for a tour of the ’67 Exhibition
- Mayor Duggan’s Office with Jeff Donofrio – Executive Director of Workforce Development, Nicole Stallings – Deputy Director of Workforce Development, Tim Carroll – Strategic Communications Advisor and Donald Rencher – Director of Housing & Revitalization
- Brilliant Detroit with Cindy Eggleton, Co-Founder and CEO
- Bus Tour of Detroit led by Terry Campbell, Regional Manager Office of U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
Guest speakers and instructors include:
- Dennis Archer Jr., Archer Corporate Services (ACS), Founding Principal and President; Ignition Media Group, Founder, CEO; Mackinac Policy Conference, Chair, 2016; Central Kitchen + Bar, Partner
- Angelique Peterson-Mayberry, Manufacturing Business Office Analyst/Women in Manufacturing Community Liaison, Ford Motor Co., Board Vice President of Detroit Public Schools Community District
- Toby Barlow, Chief Creative Officer, Founder, Lafayette American….(Is this an advertising agency? Absolutely. Definitely. Sort of.)
- Melissa Davis, Vice President of Digital Strategy, CRM and Innovation at UWG
- Senator Debbie Stabenow, U.S. Senator for Michigan
- Nikolai P. Vitti, Detroit Public Schools Community District Superintendent
Click Here for more information about Excellence Corps of Detroit
Check out photos from this summer below!